Position: Flower and Vegetable Farm Crew Member
Are you looking to learn more about growing food, flowers and running a market gardening business? Dancing Dandelion Farms is looking for a full-time seasonal worker to join our crew for 2021.
About Our Farm
We are Kailli and Zach and we own a 5 acre farm located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley. We are surrounded by wineries and mountains, and are only a short drive to lakes, rivers and the ocean. We have a diverse farm focusing on cut flower and vegetable production. We sell at farmer’s markets, to local chefs, floral designers, our own farm stand and we have a flower subscription (CSA) program. We also design florals for weddings and events.
We are hiring someone who has a keen interest in learning the skills to grow flowers and vegetables or are interested in one day starting their own farm. We will provide mentoring and training through hands on experience. You will learn to grow food and flowers using natural inputs without synthetic herbicides and pesticides.
Our farm involves using a wide variety of skills including seed starting, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, washing bins/produce, making bouquets and packaging produce. Farming at Dancing Dandelion requires a real appreciation for attention to detail, the beauty in nature and good food. We will be working outdoors in all weather conditions and the work is very physically demanding. We look forward to sharing our knowledge and passion of growing with you.
Tasks and Responsibilities
· Mixing potting soil and seeding trays
· Transplanting new seedlings
· Pruning and trellising crops
· Laying landscape fabric and putting on row covers
· Harvesting flowers and vegetables
· Floral design and bouquet making
· Post-harvest washing, packing and record keeping
· Additional farm chores such as watering, mowing, tidying up harvest areas etc.
While some exposure to market gardening/agriculture is preferred, it is not necessary as long as the candidate has a positive attitude and strong work ethic. The ideal candidate has:
· A keen eye for detail and quality.
· Positive attitude and works well in a team.
· Physical ability to carry out farm tasks such as lifting, kneeling and bending (repetitive tasks, lifting up to 50 lbs. during the day).
· A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle.
· The ability to work efficiently and carry out repetitive tasks.
· Openness to learn and take direction.
· Friendly and can communicate well with other staff and customers visiting the farm.
· Willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions for long periods.
· Arrive on time with the proper clothing. Closed toe shoes are required at all times.
The position begins April 5 and ends on October 29, 2021. This is a full-time, seasonal position, approximately 37.5 hrs/week, Monday through Friday, with some room for flexibility if help is needed at the farmers markets or with weekend chores.
Starting wage is $15.50/hour. Plus employer-paid contributions — EI, CPP, Worksafe BC, 4% vacation.
Perks include access to extra vegetables and flowers as well as free coffee and tea at lunch. Bonus of $0.25/hour (for total hours worked during the season) if worker fulfills their commitment of staying until the end of the season.
We have a yurt on the farm for employees and volunteers to live in. The cost to live in the yurt is $200/month. Amenities are available in our main house and include a full kitchen, bathroom, living room common area and free wifi.
If you are interested in applying, please have a look at the farm website and check us out on Instagram.
Send your resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: February 28, 2021. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, so we suggest applying early as the position may be filled before then.
Please answer the following questions as part of your cover letter:
- What about farming interests you the most and how does farming fit into your future?
- What previous agriculture experience do you have?
- Are you most interested in learning about vegetables or flowers and why?
Thank you for applying! We receive many resumes and cannot respond to all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.